Monday, April 23, 2007

Thoughts on God, Suffering and West Virginia

Thoughts on the Virginia Tech Massacre

For the past couple of days, I have been riveted to the news reports of the terrible tragedy on the campus of Virginia Tech. There are many times when our nation is faced with incredible tragedy. This week is one of those times. I believe there is no better time for us to consider the things of God than during a time of heartache and heartbreak. I believe we serve such big God that He is not taken back by our concerns, worries, doubts, and questions. There is not one person on this earth who will not be impacted by tragedy in some aspect. It is imperative for you and I to have a sound biblical view about God in times of tragedy.
My theological training as taught me that God is sovereign, omnipresent, omnipotent, omniscient, immutable, and eternal. However, when we face times of trials and suffering, theological terms often do not soothe the broken heart or our deep felt hurts. When we face a time of suffering we do not need a well spoken or written treatise on the attributes of God. Instead, we need hands on, applicable and relative set of truths that we can hold onto no matter what we face. Therefore, I submit to you three very simple truths which will help you to face any trial you may face. On the surface, these elementary truths may seem much too simple to be of any good. Nonetheless, in times of suffering, the simple often brings the most meaning. Furthermore, in times of suffering, the simple can be better remembered and believed.
In our times of suffering, God cares about every heartache and tear we have. I can not say it simpler. God is a god that truly cares about you. The Bible teaches us that He is our Father. As a Father, he has an infinite capacity to care about each of us. There are times our feelings may tell us that He does not care. However, the truth is we can “cast our cares upon Him, He cares for you” (1 Peter 5:7).

• Are you standing over a graveside of a loved one? God cares!
• Are you facing mounting debt and a mountain of bills? God cares!
• Are you contemplating divorce and fed up with your life? God cares!
• Have you just been diagnosed with an incurable disease? God cares!
• Are you having worries you can seem to get past? God cares.

The most basic truth of all is this: No matter what is raging around you, God cares.

Not only does God care, but God also comforts. I remember so vividly when I was a young child how much I enjoyed going to my parent’s bed when I was scared. When I had a nightmare or a storm was thrashing around our house, there was only one place I wanted to go. I always made a bee line to my parent’s bed. There was strength and comfort in my parent’s bed. I never forget how I felt when my father’s arm would gently cradle me. Even when the storm was violent and intense, I found comfort in my father’s arms. I know my Father in Heaven is even better than my earthly father at bringing comfort. 2 Corinthians chapter 1 promises me that God is a god of all comfort. He is not a god of a little comfort or some comfort but all comfort. When I face times of trouble and trials I look quickly to the presence of God to bring me comfort. I go to the Psalms and read the promises I find in Psalms. I go to the passage in 2 Corinthians and rely in faith that my God is one of comfort. I read 1 Peter 5 and in prayer, I freely give away my life and allow the peace of God to come in and take the place of worry. When you are scared, crawl up in your Father’s lap. Allow the peace and presence of God to fill you and overflow in you. Take time to silently sit before God, taking in His word, and believing it for what it says. As you do, the God of comfort will bring his comfort to you.

The second truth in times of suffering is also very simple: No matter what it looks like God is a god of comfort and offers you the comfort of His presence.

God not only cares and comforts us in our time of distress, but we can rest in the assurance that God is in complete and total control. For some, that might be a distressing truth. If God is in control, why would He allow this young man to massacre 32 people on the campus of Virginia Tech? Honestly, I do not fully know. What I do know is history is not randomly taking place. History, past, present, and future, is on a logical course of completion. God is working His plan in perfect detail. The events of April 16 at Virginia Tech did not surprise God or take Him off guard. The book of Acts teaches us that the death of Jesus was part of God’s “set purpose and foreknowledge” (Acts 2:23). Just as the death of Jesus was part of God’s redeeming plan, so was the massacre at Virginia Tech. I do not fully understand all of what that implies. However, I do know and trust God is still on His throne working everything out as He chooses to the completion of His glory and Christ’s ultimate rule. I would much rather trust a God who chooses not to intervene during the shootings than trust a God who was impotent to do anything about it. God was, is, and always will be able to intervene. What we view as inactivity on God’s part is simply God sovereignty working His perfect plan for Christ’s future reign. .

The third truth in times of suffering is very simple, even when it doesn’t look like it, God is in complete control.

As a follower of Christ, was does this mean to me? To those in need, I must become Jesus to them. I must never forget that often times God shows people He cares as I take time to show I care. I do not need to have all the answers. I must simply be willing to show I care by my presence. I must realize that often God comforts people through me. Often a gentle touch or a godly word, God can bring comfort to a person. I must be willing to be a bridge for God’s care and comfort.
Finally, if you are facing incredible times of suffering, I offer the following words of encouragement. God has given us tears to cry, so cry. God has given the gift of touch, so go to someone and receive the comfort held in a hug. God has given us time, so wait. While time does not heal all wounds, in time the wounds begins to heal and you realize you will make it another day. God has given us truth, so believe it. God does care and will comfort you. Finally, God has given himself, trust Him. If you have yet to place you faith and trust in Jesus Christ, do so now. Don’t face another series of trials without the comfort and care of a wonderful Savior. Drop me a line, I would love to talk to you about how Jesus can begin to make His home in you.
My heart is broken for those people who have lost loved one this week. But I take great comfort in knowing that my God reigns and He will have great glory in the midst of great suffering.

No comments: