Thursday, February 16, 2012

Whose Life? Tebow or Brady

A couple of days ago, a new World Champion was crowned. A new Super Bowl MVP drove away in his new car. More people watched the 2012 Super Bowl than any other television show in history. The year produced one winner and 31 losers. Anyone who knows me knows I am a huge football fan and enjoyed watching the Super Bowl even though “my” team was not playing (Yes I really do know it is not “my” team but I like to think it matters a little that I’m a Bronco fan, though I know it really doesn’t). I am a huge Denver Bronco fan. It has been my habit for many years to check the Denver Post online a few times a week just to keep up with the news coming out of Bronco Nation. A few weeks ago, the Post ran a very interesting poll: Whose life would you want to live: Tom Brady’s or Tim Tebow’s? Whose life would I want to live? Interesting thought: they are both losers. Maybe I’d rather live Eli Manning’s life. The Denver Post had a few interesting reasons to want to live the life of Brady or Tebow. Consider these: Tom Brady has been a multiple Super Bowl Champion and a multiple Super Bowl loser. He has been the MVP of the NFL and will be a certain Hall of Famer. He is married to a “Top Model.” He has a contract with mega-millions and receives millions more in product endorsements. He has one of the most recognizable faces on the planet. Tom Brady is living an amazing life. Tebow doesn’t have it bad as well: He is a two-time National Champion, a Heisman Trophy winner, a first round draft pick, he is the hero of Bronco Nation, he has a contract worth multiple millions, receives millions in endorsements, and he has a very large cult following. He is also an amazing role model. So whose life would you live? The last time I checked, Tebow, was narrowly beating Brandy. But the poll was taken through the Denver Post so the results are surely skewed. But for you, whose life would you live? As a Christian, we do not have the luxury of asking that question. You see, Jesus Christ has bought us. He paid a very high ransom price for you and me. Therefore, He owns us. We are slaves of Christ and the life we live is not our own but it is Christ living His life through us. We must continually have a Christocentric view of life. Jesus did not come to make your life better. He came to kill your life and live His life through you. Paul says it this way: “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me” (Galatians 2:20). As we consider the process of sanctification (being transformed into the image of Christ), we need more Christians dreaming, not of becoming a Tebow or a Brady but dreaming of becoming mighty and valiant warriors in God’s Kingdom. We must be willing to surrender everything, to keep our eyes focused on Christ and obediently allow Christ to live His life through us. We We are certainly losers in this life. But let me assure you, if you are in Christ, you will be great winners in the next life. Don’t compare your life to Tebow or Brady. For that matter, don’t compare your life to anyone except Jesus Christ. Surrender every area of your life to God and allow Christ to live His life through you. Thoughts to consider: What habits or attitudes keep you from allowing Christ to live His life through you? Are you willing to surrender everything to Christ? Whose life would you rather live? Tim, Tom or Jesus’ life? What is keeping you from living God's dream for your life?

No comments: