Thursday, October 25, 2007


Does Character Count?

What is the most important quality one should look for in a Christian? I believe it would have to be character. Is this a person of character? Would you agree that a person’s character is the most important quality there is? It the person real or is he a phony? How can we become people of character? It does not mean they do not have personal struggles and defeats. But are they real? Can you trust this person?
As a Christian, a great way to look at character is to look at the Character Star. I first saw this star in “Leaderlife.” It has made me step back and think a little bit. In the middle is our relationship with God. This is the most important aspect of character. Then coming off of the center are five important aspects of character: Integrity, Financial Responsibility, Marriage and Family, Physical Health, and Emotional Health. Each aspect of character is important and must be looked at. To help us evaluate our character, take time to look at each question and allow the Holy Spirit to work in you.

RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD:
1. Am I closer to God today than I was a year ago? Why or Why not?
2. What are the evidences I have an intense thirst for a relationship with God?
3. What are some specific steps I can take to foster my spiritual health?

INTEGRITY: (Purity of Heart)
1. Are there secret sins in my life? (sexual, money, power etc.)
2. Do I have an accountability partner?
3. Do I make promises I can’t or won’t keep?
4. Do I want to succeed or to please people so much that I will say or do anything to achieve these goals.
5. Do people around me see me as a person who keeps my word?
6. If Jesus were to sit down and talk with me, what sins would he condemn in me? In my church?

MARRIAGE AND FAMILY
1. How do I balance my family relationship and my work responsibilities?
2. How can I make my spouse feel like she is my top priority?
3. What am I doing to raise my children to be future “Champions of Christ.”
4. Would my children call me a person of character?

PHYSICAL
1. Is my weight within proper balance?
2. Is my blood pressure and cholesterol within acceptable limits?
3. Do I have periodic physical checkups?
4. Do I smoke or drink excessively?
5. Do I work out at least 3 times per week?

EMOTIONAL HEALTH
1. How many close friends do I have other than my spouse?
2. Have I embraced the hurts of my past?
3. Am I able to be responsive rather than reactive to difficult people?
4. Am I able to laugh comfortably and appropriately? Does it take “sorted” things to make me laugh?

FINANCIAL HEALTH
1. Does money occupy too large a part of my everyday thought process? What worries me?
2. How am I controlling my debt so I am not under bondage to debt?
3. How am I practicing biblical Christian stewardship? Am I tithing and giving above my tithes to ongoing ministries of the Church?
4. Do I have a budget, a will, an emergency fund, retirement, and insurance?

Those are really thought provoking questions. I have cut out the start and have it within my sight everyday. It keeps me thinking of every aspect of my character. By the way, I could have done with out the physical portion of the questions. God is really working on the physical aspect of my life. Where is He working in your life? Allow yourself to be transparent. Allow God to mold you and allow yourself to become everything God has created you to be. Remember, as far as it is up to you, live at peace will all people. The best way to live in peace is to be a genuine person of character. .

No comments: