Friday, June 22, 2007

"Always" of Scripture

It is always a lot of fun to do word studies in the Bible. I’m not real sure how I begin these studies but this week I did a study of the word “Always.” As I studied the word, I discovered four words that have a common link to the word “Always.” The Greek word for “always” is “Pantote.” It has the idea of “at all times or always” (see 1 Thes 5:16). There is also the Greek word, “Adialeiptos” which means “without ceasing” (see 1 Thes 5:17). The third word is the Greek word “aei” and means “at any and every time, perpetually” (see Phi 4:4 or Col 4:6). The final word is the Greek word “pas” which means all. This is a very common Greek word. It has the idea of being inclusive. For instance, the verse “For all have sinned…” the word all is “pantes” from the root “pas.” This is the word used for “everything” in 1 Thessalonians 5:18 “”in everything give thanks…” Therefore, there is nothing in which we can not give thanks.
As I thought about these four words, I realized collectively they give the idea of being inclusive, always or perpetually. They each have the idea of “each and every time.” Let me show you a few places where the words are used:

Always be confident 2 Cor 5:6
Always rejoice 2 Cor 6:10, Ph 4:4
Always be zealous Ga 4:18
Always give thanks – Eph 5:20, 2 Th 1:13, 1 Th 5:18
Always pray – Eph 6:18, 1 Th 5:17, 1 Tim 2:1
Always obey – Ph 2:2
Always have your conversation filled with grace Col 4:6
Always be kind 1 Th 5:15
Always be joyful 1 Th 5:16, James 1:2
Always be prepared to witness 1 Pe 3:15
Always love 1 Co 16:14

I realize these traits should not characterize my life some of the time or even most of the time. These traits should characterize my life all the time. I should respond with confidence, joy, thankfulness and love each and every time. I don’t know about you, but that is extremely challenging. I would be the first to admit my conversation is not always filled with grace nor do I give thanks in everything or have joy perpetually. As I humble myself before God and desire to continually be transformed into the image of Christ, it is not hard to know what He wants from me. God wants me to always love, to always be confident, to rejoice in all things, to continually give thanks, to always have a prayer on my lips, to obey Him in all things, to speak with grace and be kind to everyone. Wow! What a challenge to my heart. I pray God will continually fill me with His Spirit that I might live a life fully devoted and honoring to Him.

No comments: